Do you have friends who cook with beet greens, but you haven’t tried them yet? You should follow your friends’ example and also cook with beet greens because they have been used for their amazing health benefits since ancient times. Kale, spinach, and chard have gained attention in the last few years, and for good reasons: their health benefits are amazing. All beet greens are high in nutritional value, rich in vitamins, fibers, minerals, and antioxidants. These are all good reasons why you should begin cooking with beet greens. Here are some of the most important nutrition facts associated with beet greens.
1. They are versatile and nutritious. You will love green beans for the taste and for the fact that they are low in calories. One hundred grams of beet greens hold just 22 calories.
2. Beet greens carry more vitamins, fiber, and minerals than beetroot. While the beetroot is rich in sugar, it is not the case with beet greens. They are low in sugar, fat, and calories.
3. Beet greens are one of the finest sources of beta-carotene, zeaxanthin, and lutein. You probably don’t know what beta-carotene, zeaxanthin, and lutein are. They are flavonoids that have excellent anti-cancer activities and work as strong antioxidants.
4. They are rich in vitamin C, so they boost immunity, help maintain strong bones, and promote healthy skin.
5. Since they are rich in vitamin B6, they help improve mental health. Vitamin B6 boosts depression and helps improve mood. People who use vitamin B6 have a general, more optimistic view of life, so it is easier for them to avoid the effects associated with depression and anxiety.
If you are convinced about the health benefits of beet greens, you should begin cooking with beet greens. We understand that you are confused and probably don’t even know how to choose fresh ones. We are here to help you and share useful information on how to select beet greens. The first thing that you should learn is that they are edible from root to leaf. When selecting beetroots, you should pay attention to two important aspects:
- Organic greens need to appear fresh. They should have a bright, green color.
- Check the leaves and make sure that they are not withered, yellowed, and spotty.
If you find a great source of beet greens and want to buy in bulk and store for later, here are some tips:
- Don’t wash them before storing them.
- Place them in a plastic bag and wrap them tightly around the beets.
- Squeeze out as much air as possible from the bag. Place the bag in the fridge. You can keep them for up to three weeks.
- You can also freeze them because they will retain their flavor and texture.
Don’t you feel that you have a better understanding of beet greens? Don’t you think that your entire family can benefit from the amazing properties of beet greens? Your health can be much improved if you add beet greens to your diet, so do this as fast as possible.